When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Makin' it shine!

I slept in a hair today, and didn't make it to the shop until 9 am, which now that the money job is done, was no big deal. The first thing was starting to get the chrome on the money. We use Alsa Chrome for shiny metal. It is as shiny as it gets from a paint. However, it is only as good as the gloss level of the black base-coat. As with our buffed metal powder we use, if it's applied over satin, the metal is satin, over gloss it becomes chrome. You spray it on very, very lightly. An 8 oz bottle could probably chrome a car! Which is good because 8 oz is probably  the same cost as one!

  It took a couple of hours to lightly spray the chrome, working in very small tight circles. I actually had to switch it up with Jody a few times as my arm was starting to kill me. Once the chrome was done, we moved on to picking out the dollar coins with a brush and some gold-ish paint.






 A couple more coats on the dollar coins and then it's done!

This was a pretty sweet job, all said and done. Two awesome gigs in a row.

We had a pre-pro meeting last week for a Davinci inspired flying contraption. That should be another amazing job for us. Why work when you can do this!
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment