When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 16 June 2014

3D Modelling Challenge!

While we were teaching in Indiana, a few of the attendees wanted me to launch a 3d modelling challenge. I think that this is an amazing idea! It will be great for the people who attended to push their new found knowledge. And for any experienced 3d modellers  who read the blog, it might be something to have a little fun with. So here it goes:

The challenge is to 3d model a computer mouse that looks like it is built for super fast speed. This is totally left up to your interpretation. The only requirement is that it is still recognizable as a computer mouse in the end. The deadline is July 16th. Being that this is a friendly competition, I encourage people to post progress screen shots on our forum. If your having trouble with something, or can't quite figure something out, please post your request for help. I also encourage the experienced modellers to reply to the posts to help out. Again, this is just for fun, and about pushing yourself past where you are!

Any software you choose to model in is fine, no conditions at all. The judging will be on the actual model, and not any fancy rendering, although those who can render are encouraged to do so.
Here's the link to the forum:

http://forums.oxenhamdesign.com/post/3d-summer-modelling-challenge-6946988?pid=1283204501#post1283204501

Good luck to all, I look forward to the creations!!
8)
JWO


No comments:

Post a Comment