When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 9 September 2014

A License to Print Money! Mu-HA HA......

Well, we don't actually have a license, but we're printing money anyway! Try and stop us Canadian Mint, in your face!
A little over the top for Tuesday, but that's how I roll.
We got a call to create 4 old silver coins with the actor Wallace Shawn's face on them.
These are just single sided, only heads.
The art department supplied us with this image they wanted on the coin, as well as some really old coin reference images.
The first step was to crop out the background noise, so I'd have a clean reference image. I thought about modelling the head in full 3d, but as the coin was only 1.5" in diameter, that seemed like a waste of time for this
The model was solely created in Aspire, and underwent a few changes before agreeing on this version. I did some sculpting in Aspire to add a bit more dimension than Aspire had originally created it with. We are 3d printing these on the Form1 sla 3d printer, due to it's seriously high resolution, and the models small size! Due to the size, I actually had to over-emphasize the features a little to be sure they would read on a close up shot. We actually printed 3 of the coins, but production decided they wanted to add a hint of shoulders to Mr. Shawn's head profile.
 So with a little bit of tweaking, this would be the hero coin!
What a great time we live in to be able to have so many ways of fabrication at all of our fingertips!
8)
JWO





1 comment:

  1. I know that you know that I know that this it totally Inconceivable!

    ReplyDelete