When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 19 January 2015

A little sign.

The last few weeks have been a little odd for me. We've got a few projects in right now that we can't share, and one project, that isn't really a job, but still work, I will post about in a while. We're super stoked about working on it, but it's a long way from finished, so stay tuned!

A third project, that we can share, is a rather small sign gig. Nothing huge in terms of size, but huge in terms of fun! And when my job stops being fun, I'll do something else!

The customer wanted a small sign for their daughter. She has a horse boarded at a stable, and they wanted a small sign they could hang in the tack room, above her equipment, that let's everybody know who's equipment it is!
He already knows what he wants the sign to say, "Buddy and Kyleys' stuff" Pretty simple!

He also said I could do whatever I thought would be cool. Nice.....I like this guy!

My workflow on a lot of things is a bit backwards to some people. Sometimes I start with a sketches,
sometimes I go straight to a 3d massing model, sometimes I start with vectors. I guess it all depends what I'm doing!
In the case of this little sign, I went straight to vectors. For 2 reasons. The first reason is I can find the font I want quickly, and get an accurate size relationship, and the second is because I will eventually need the vectors anyway.

So after I'm happy with the overall layout, I export the file out, so I can open it in our sketching program.
Then I can add the colours I'm thinking of using, and fine tune the overall feel I want.
Then I send it of for changes and approvals.
Once the concept was O.K.'d, I used my already created vectors in Aspire, and started to build up all of the dimensional components.
Once the HDU sign came off our Techno, I quickly carved in some of the smaller details by hand, and continued the wood grain on the "stuff" portion on the edges, everywhere a 3 axis cnc couldn't cut.
Next stop paint!
8)
JWO






No comments:

Post a Comment