When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 21 July 2015

De Plane Boss De Plane!!


The arm rests were the next job to be tackled! We're only making 3 in total, as any more would be completely out of frame. And if they actually need anymore seating than we built, they have the option of shooting plates, and assembling them in post-production.


Each arm-rest was comprised of 4 pcs of 1/2" MDF, laminated together.

Once the glue had dried, I ran a 1/2" radius cutter around all the edges, just to soften them a little.
 While I was setting up our Techno cnc for the rest of the seat parts, Jody vac-formed .060" PETG over all 3 arm rests. She did this so we could cut the tops off the pull, and use them as arm rest pads on the tops of the arms.
The seat bases were cut from 3/4" plywood, edge sanded and filled to be smooooth!
We're actually only making 2-half seats! One will have a seat cushion and 2 arms, and the one in front of that will have 1 arm, a seat back, and no seat cushion. For sure this must be an economy flight :)
8)
JWO




No comments:

Post a Comment