When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 6 July 2015

New Posts Coming!

As I have been getting ready to posts some new projects we have been working on, it seems I left you hanging on the final Alberta job! So silly this guy!

So, let me wrap up the Stettler job tonight, for new stuff tomorrow!




I think the final result was great! Every building around the base of the heart is a building from the downtown core of the town, and we chose the giant heart, busting out of them, because the town slogan is "Stettler - The heart of Alberta" We chose the train at the top, as it's a seriously popular attraction for the town, globally!
Since finishing the job, I have heard from Dave, who was our contact in Alberta, and they had developed a pretty sweet scissor jack, that allows 1 person to raise and lower the train down into the heart. So now, this can travel with just one person, to all the major events in Alberta, promoting the sweet little town of Stettler!
A very memorable job, and even more memorable people!!


 We were even allowed to tour the #41 steam engine we cartoonified on the float! Woo Hoo!
The owners were gracious enough to allow us full access to the train, while they were getting it ready for the up-coming season!
 I have never seen the inside of a steam engine barrel.
And I certainly have never, ever, ever, been underneath a steam engine before.......or any train for that matter! Thankfully I was in a service pit, and not thrown from a train platform :)



But before we left, we were able to make it to Drumheller. ever since I was a kid, I wanted to see the Badlands in Alberta, so this was one sweet trip for us!!


Certainly a fantastic trip for Jody and I, one I won't soon forget!
I was secretly hoping to unearth a dinosaur skeleton there, but I had no luck. Probably because my car keys were the only excavation tools I had with me!
All in all, we are certainly thankful to Dave Mccourt from Woodcraft by Dave,
the Town of Stettler,
Aubrey Brown from the Stettler Board of Trade,
and Stan Eichhorn, from the
Stettler P&H Elevator Preservation Society! All amazing people, who were so great to work with!
You guys make what we do even better!
8)
JWO



No comments:

Post a Comment