When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 4 December 2015

Filming! Aaaahhhhhh!

Well, the start of my short film was awesome on the weekend! The Kawartha Settlers Village was kind enough to let us use their location, and we took advantage of both the inside, as well as the outside! We started at noon on Saturday, and finished up about 2am! By that time, everything that we had left outside had an amazing coating of frost, stupid Jamie.
I also got to try out my 3-axis camera stabilizer, which I was pretty pumped about! On Saturday, I ended up attaching it to the end of my 8 foot jib crane, and was able to use an RC transmitter. This allowed me to be able to remotely pan and tilt the camera for our first shot. I had Joe working the jib, while I controlled the camera. It was a little  bit like releasing drunk camera monkeys loose, but we eventually got synced up together!
We had 2 extra's that were to look like they were out for a stroll, while our cowboy rolled into town!
Jody moved frequently between producer and director. Which was good, because I was so focused on tracking the horse with the camera, I had no idea what the hell else was going on! There could have been a flaming gorilla with a sombrero, and I don't thing I would have noticed it. Sooooooo sad! Thank goodness for awesome sauce Jody!
Here our cowboy is pushing his way into the cabin, all tough like!
We were very grateful to Leahann and Andrea, who not only supplied the horse "Sasha" for the shoot, but took the time to trailer her an hour to the location! They were awesome! Jody also got to ride her after we were done. She was pretty stoked, as she's never been on a horse before!
Once it got dark, we moved on to the inside of the cabin!
Oh yeah............That is a hand in a box your lookin' at! A little weird right? The hand was the bane of my existence all night! It was never where it needed to be! HA HA. It was in the box when it should've been out. Out of the box when it was supposed to be in. Missing from the shot, left in the satchel bag...........................It became a running joke almost.
Sunday's shoot day was almost as fun as Saturday's. Less people to have fun with, but still pretty fun!
Maybe not for Joe, who spent most of Sunday doing this!

Hopefully I get to finish the script this winter, and start casting for the other rolls in the late winter, then spend all summer doing this cool gig!
8)
JWO


No comments:

Post a Comment